LG 34UM95-P review :Would be great without the Super Energy Saving bug: Part 2


Calibrating with DispcalGui


I wrote a separate post about calibrating with dynamic contrast because it isn't specific to this monitor:
Calibrating with ArgyllCMS&DispCalGUI with dynamic contrast or projector iris. 

I calibrated the monitor yesterday but only with 88 patches just to check the calibrating works. Today I'm going to do the real >1000 patch calibration.

Auto Standby bug(?)


After I'd been using the monitor for 4 hours, it popped up message saying monitor hasn't been used for 4 hours and it's going to be shut down in 5 minutes. What? I've been using the monitor the whole time! And after 4 minutes another message came stating press any key or monitor is shut down in a minute. And it did shut down the monitor.

There is a setting in Menu/Settings/Auto Standby that was set to 4 hours. But in the manual it clearly says: Feature that automatically turns off the monitor when there is no movement on the screen for a period of time. Clearly it was not working at all. I don't know how it decides is there movement or not.

USB3 and Serial port used for communicating

 


There is an USB to Serial converter TUSB3410 inside the monitor. I have it now disabled because the ASMedia USB3 drivers were messing with my motherboards USB3 (=ASMedia). But True Color Finder seems to calibrate through this port. I would have though it was using DDC/CI but now because TUSB3410 is not working it True Color Finder says cannot connect. It should be easy to crack, there can't be that many commands. Just put a com port sniffer in between.

Cleartype Sub-pixel rendering 

 

I tested first with Lagoms sub-pixel rendering test and then with Windows own that sub-pixel ordering is RGB. It's better to test first with Lagom because Windows only supports RGB and BGR sub-pixel orders. 

Conclusions (for today). 


I was wondering haven't any other reviewers noticed there isn't any dynamic contrast at all, or Super Energy Saving=Off actually shuts down the backlighting completely or the monitor turns off in 4 hours ( it was the default setting) no matter what you do? Or did I just get a faulty monitor?


LG 34UM95-P review :Would be great without the Super Energy Saving bug : Part 1

Comments

  1. Thanks you for talk about TUSB3410 issue.
    I've tried with asmedia and microsoft drivers (many versions), but it doesn't work.
    If you obtain a solution, I hope you will write here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a new version of software and drivers (dated 10.7.2014) in LG's support site, have you tried them yet? I just downloaded them but don't know when I'm gonna try them.
      My motherboards USB3 feature was one of the first and supports only disk drives so there might some problems also in there.

      Delete

Post a Comment