How many steps do you have to take to lose weight 1kg?

I have Withings WS-50 scale and Withings Pulse activity tracker. I've now used the scale daily for about a year and Withings Pulse for 8 months. I started wondering would it be possible to see any correlation between the steps I take and weight I lose.

Because I measure my weight almost daily, it's easy to get data about how much weight changes in a day. It's easy to export weight data from Withing web site.

The step data is a little more difficult to get. You cannot export activity data that easily from Withings web site. You have to register a developer account and register your application to get the necessary keys to get access to your data. Then you have to write an application using OAuth and Rest to download the data.

The problem with Withings activity data is there's no way to mark a day's data as NotAvailable meaning you haven't used Pulse that day. So they will be to many days under '0 Steps' day.

So I didn't actually get activity data. That's because I had a better way to measure my steps. I have been working about half year now 50/50. 50% working at home and 50% in the city. The days I work in the city, I know I have taken about 5000 steps because it was always 5000-6000 steps when I had my Pulse with me.

So for every day I calculated the difference of my weight between this day and next day. And for every day I worked in the city, I set the steps as 5000 and for other days I set it as 0 steps.

Here's the results I got:


Data
Steps Weight Difference Kg Count of days
0 1,0442622951 122
5000 -1,3227586207 87

So if I had done 100% work at home, I would be gaining weight 1kg/month and if I had done my work in the city all the time, I would be losing my weight 1,3kg/month. That is a huge difference! There is a lot of noise in the signal but that seems accurate enough. When I was working 100% in the city, I was losing my weight about 2kg/month.

Steps Fat mass difference Kg Count of days
0 6,2678688525 122
5000 -8,1843678161 87

Fat mass difference shows this is not an accurate way to measure weight and activity correlation. 8kg/month fat mass losing? I'm not buying that. This has to have other reasons like dehydrating more after days in the city (more coffee?).

What I would like to have is way to combine all different data sources: Withings activity data, Sport tracker sport data and my own data like this work data to get a common activity data that could be used for more accurate charts like this( this is not real data):


Edit:
I thought just to be safe to only use those days that are consecutive. If I would be working two days at home, I would only use the second day in statistics and the same with 5000 step - days.

Steps Weight Difference Kg Count of days
0 -0,0031818182 88
5000 -1,1038461538 52
The results are not so impressive anymore but maybe they are more realistic. By doing 5000 steps a day I still get rid of 1,1Kg per month.

Comments